If you are a novice to growing tomatoes from seed, you may not be aware with the fact that there are two different methods of starting your tomato seeds. The two individual methods are somewhat the similar except for the factor that one is a one-step method and the latter a two-step method. The first method is generally used by gardeners who are new to growing tomatoes from seed. The second method is more commonly used by gardeners who have a little more experience. Below I will explain each method as clearly as possible.
Growing Tomatoes from Seed – The One-Step Method
If you are a quite new to growing tomatoes from seed, this first method, of starting seeds is probably where you would want to start. With this method, you can transplant the tomato seedlings straight into the garden from the first container you planted the seed into. Once your seed has germinated and grown into a 4-6 inch plant it is ready to be transplanted into your garden bed or into a container on your deck or patio.
The Steps to Method One for Growing Tomatoes from Seed
- Choose containers, peat pots, peat pellets, anything except for flats (containers should be large enough to take the seeds from germination to planting into the garden or container).
- Dampen the soil, in the peat pots or pellets. (use a sterilized planter mix)
- Plant 2-3 seeds in each container.
- Place each of the peat pots on a tray and water thoroughly.
- Place the tray with the pots in a large plastic bag and make a mini green house by supporting the plastic bag so that the plastic does not hinder the tomatoes growth.
- Once seeds have germinated, and have their first true leaves, remove all but the hardiest seedling.
- Keep at 75% in a bright, but not sunny area.
- Keep damp but not soaked (if plants are too dry they will not develop properly, too wet, and they will die of dampening off disease)
- Plants are ready to harden-off when they are 4 to 6 inches high
- Transplant into your garden bed or large pot or container.
If you are interested in seeing the second method of growing tomatoes from seed Checkout Part Two Growing tomatoes from seed – Two Methods for Growing Tomatoes From Seed-Part 2